Porcelain Veneers – Coronado, CA
Taking Smiles From Drab to Fab
Porcelain veneers are, by far, one of the most popular dental cosmetic treatments available. From Hollywood’s elite to your day-to-day working adult, this type of smile transformation is available to anyone looking to hide the imperfections of their smile. Whether it is cracks, chips, gaps, minor misalignments, stains, or discoloration, porcelain veneers can hide it! To find out how Dr. Popp at Advanced Dentistry can help take your smile from drab to fab, contact us today!
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
As one of the most versatile cosmetic solutions, porcelain veneers are ultra-thin ceramic coverings that fit snugly over the surface of your teeth, hiding all cosmetic flaws and imperfections. They’re custom-made by dental lab technicians who will match the color, size, and shape according to the desired requests of both you and Dr. Popp.
What is the Process for Getting Veneers?
Having porcelain veneers placed will take two appointments. When you arrive for your first visit, Dr. Popp will begin by discussing your desired look. Using a shade guide, she will begin to identify the color of the veneer, as well as the necessary size and shape. It is important that she examines your mouth in its entirety first to make sure your oral health is in good shape. Should you have gum disease or tooth decay, it will be recommended that you take care of those dental problems before having veneers placed.
Once she believes you are ready to move forward with the process, she will remove a small portion of the enamel from the surface of your teeth. This will help the veneer to lay flat as well as the bonding agent to adhere the veneer to the tooth properly.
The next step during this initial appointment is to take impressions of your mouth, as this will serve as a blueprint for lab technicians who will be crafting your new smile. You’ll receive temporary veneers to wear in the meantime.
After a few weeks, your permanent veneers will be ready, and you will return to our office to have the temporary ones removed and real ones put on. Both you and Dr. Popp will check the restorations to ensure they meet your expectations before she carefully places each one. Using a curing light, she will bond each veneer to the tooth, hardening the bonding agent and putting you one step closer to a fully transformed smile.
Benefits of Veneers
There are a variety of options when looking for a treatment that covers cosmetic dental flaws, but porcelain veneers are the only one that can thoroughly hide your imperfections and transform your smile. Some of the benefits of having porcelain veneers are:
- They look like your natural tooth, so you don’t have to worry about having “chiclet teeth” as veneers were once known.
- They are more resilient to stains and discoloration, but this should not be taken as they “cannot stain.” The coating is much more stain-resistant than regular tooth enamel.
- Veneers are customizable to match your desired color, size, and shape.
- They offer a less-invasive approach and don’t require the level of tooth altering as a dental crown.
Maintaining Your Veneers
Once your veneers are in place, it might take some time to get used to these new fixtures in your mouth. Whether you’ve had your new smile for one week or one year, there are things you need to make sure you do if you want to keep them lasting for as long as possible. These include:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day for two minutes and flossing at least once a day.
- Maintaining a balanced and nutritious diet. Limit the amount of sugar and carbohydrates you consume, as both can lead to tooth decay, which can affect the natural tooth underneath your veneer.
- Avoiding hard foods, as they can cause your veneers to break.
- Being careful to choose a non-abrasive toothpaste.
- Keeping regular checkups with cleanings with our dental team. This will allow them to examine your veneers to ensure there are no problems or issues that need to be addressed.